Taking a bath with soaking salts is terrific for your skin and a relaxing way to end to a stressful day. Make your own DIY bath salts with these recipes.
Do you need to give your skin a good scrub for the upcoming summer season? How about a soothing soak to relax and refresh tired muscles?
Both of these things are possible when you make your own bath salts and body scrubs
An Epsom salt bath acts as a detox to help eliminate heavy metals from your cells and ease muscle pain. It is also terrific for relieving skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis.
Dead sea mineral salt is 33% magnesium chloride, and 24% potassium chloride. There are many other beneficial minerals that make Dead Sea Salts the healthiest bathing salts in the world.
Choose both Epsom Salt and Dead Sea Salt or make this recipe with just one. Either way, bathing in magnesium-rich waters is the best way to get magnesium into your body.
Garden Bounty Soaking Salts
Yield: 8 ounces
1/2 cup Epsom salt
1/2 cup dead sea mineral salt
1 tablespoon fresh orange peel or zest (chopped into small pieces)
1 tablespoon fresh peppermint leaves (chopped into small pieces)
1 teaspoon olive oil or sweet almond oil
4 drops peppermint essential oil
4 drops orange essential oil
- finely dice the lemon peel and mint leaves, set aside
- in a mixing bowl combine the salts and olive oil, stir to combine
- stir in the diced lemon and peppermint leaves and mix
- scoop into an airtight container
- let the mixture sit for 2 to 3 days so the scents and mix and the herbs can begin to dry.
To Use Soaking Salts:
Pour 2 to 4 tablespoons of Garden Bounty Soaking Salts into warm running bath water.
This recipe can also be used as a body scrub. Just scoop a small amount into your hands and massage in a circular motion on your skin.
The fresh orange and mint will gradually lose their moisture as the Epsom salts dehydrate them naturally.
Recipe Variations for Soaking Salts
The best thing about this recipe is that it is so forgiving. You can substitute any herbs and essential oils that you have on hand. Try these combinations:
- 4 drops each eucalyptus and lime essential oils with lemon balm leaves and lime zest.
- 4 drops each peppermint and clary sage essential oil with peppermint leaves.
- 4 drops each lavender and lemon essential oil with lemon zest and lavender flowers.
- 4 drops each peppermint and lemon essential oils with lemon zest and peppermint leaves.
Try these skin care recipes on Rockin W Homestead
The Natural Summer Care Kit
I love to collect skin soothing recipes, don’t you? If you like to make your own natural skin remedies, my friends at Ultimate Bundles teamed up with Stacy Karen, the founder of NoFussNatural.com to bring you the Natural Summer Care Kit.
Here’s what you’ll get when you register for this free kit:
- 5 summer-friendly recipes using herbs and essential oils
- a simple checklist for all your ingredients
- a tutorial video where Stacy will demonstrate exactly how to make each recipe
In addition to the recipes mentioned in this article, in this summer kit, you’ll find recipes for
- after-sun spray
- bug bite balm
- cucumber cooling mist
- summer lotion bars, and
- fresh berry facial masks