The right garden hand tool can make all the difference when working in your small garden. These are my suggestions plus a giveaway from Mary’s Heirloom Seeds.
You wouldn’t try to dig a ditch with a trowel, would you? Of course not!
This same philosophy applies to all of your gardening tasks. When you have the right equipment to do the job at hand it will save you countless hours, and ultimately tons of frustration. Ask any experienced gardener and they will tell you how much easier it is to grow your own fruits and vegetables if you have the right tools and accessories in your arsenal.
What Tools Do You Need for a Small Garden?
The gardening tools and accessories you need will certainly depend on the type and scale of gardening you plan to do.
If you have a large garden plot with a lot of ground-level beds, you will need an assortment of shovels for digging, edging and moving piles of material. You’ll also need a good hoe to keep weeds at bay and maybe a pickax to break up tough soil until you can get all of your amendments in place.
However, if you only have a small area to plant or prefer to limit your gardening to containers, you will need a different set of gardening tools. A durable wheelbarrow to haul mulch and other materials in and around your garden area is also important, no matter the size. I often use mine for mixing homemade potting soil, and for moving mulch bags from the car to the garden area.
Over time, your limited collection of tools and accessories will undoubtedly grow to suit your individual gardening style.
The following items are ideal for small space gardening.
A Good Collection of Gardening Hand-Tools
Short-handled, ergonomically designed gardening tools are great for hand planting and small digging jobs. There are a number of hand-held gardening tools on the market. Here are three you’ll want to consider:
- Short-Handled Trowel. A good trowel is an indispensable tool for any garden, regardless of its size. Look for one with a pointy tip, which makes it useful for planting seeds, digging out stubborn weeds and loosening planting soil.
- A Three-Pronged Cultivator. This tool features 3 individual rake-like prongs designed to loosen soil and create uniform burrows for planting. It can also be used to pull up shallow-rooted weeds.
- A Transplanter. This tool is designed to make transplanting smaller plants. Some styles feature gradation marks to ensure you are planting each plant at the appropriate depth.
To save time, you can look for high quality and affordable pre-packaged hand tool set. For example, you can pick up the highly rated Fiskars Softouch Garden Tool 3 Piece Set for approximately $18, the Radius Garden Ergonomic Garden Hand Tool Set for $40 or how about the Rae Dunn Garden Trowel and Hand Rake Box Set for $37. (it’s part of the giveaway below, be sure to enter!)
Handheld clippers and edgers are also a bonus when you need to prune herbs and cut back small plants. I use my Fiskars By-Pass Pruning Shears almost daily as I am cleaning up around the yard and garden. I also have a small (but tough) set of stainless steel garden scissors that I use for harvesting herbs. I find them less bulky than the bypass shears and easier to handle for small jobs.
When evaluating hand-held gardening tools, look for those that offer ergonomic design features, such as soft contoured handles designed to hold your wrist in a neutral position. This will reduce unnecessary strain on your hands and wrists while you are gardening.
I’ve joined with Mary’s Heirloom Seeds for a Giveaway. Be sure to take a look and enter!
We Love Giveaways!!!
Mary’s Heirloom Seeds
This Giveaway will run from Wednesday, May 15th thru Saturday, May 25th at midnight
and is open to residents of the US and Canada
ABOUT Mary’s Heirloom Seeds
Mary’s Heirloom Seeds is a “mom and pop” small business created out of a desire to help people become more sustainable and self-sufficient. Our customers know that we are a simple phone call or email away
We currently offer over 600 varieties of Heirloom, open-pollinated, non-GMO & non-hybrid garden Seeds. Mary has signed the Safe Seed Pledge AND the Declaration of Seed Freedom.
Are you ready to enter the giveaway? Here are the rules.
1. Giveaway is open to all Residents of the US and Canada.
2. Giveaway opens 5/15/2019 and ends Saturday, 5/25/19 at Midnight.
3. All giveaway entrants will be added to Mary’s Heirloom Seeds mailing list.
4. Your information is never sold and we never send spam emails.
5. Mary’s Heirloom Seeds is in no way endorsing or affiliated with Rae Dunn.
6. There is no purchase required to enter.